Balance 180 is looking for coaching interns for the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters. Interns will positively impact the lives of children ages 2-16 through adaptive and recreational sports, while also gaining experience teaching children motor skills and learning how non-profit organizations operate and affect the community.
About Balance 180:
Balance 180 is a non-profit organization in Gainesville, FL. Our mission is to develop a new model for recreational and competitive sports within our community that serves children and young people with varying abilities and needs. We strive to serve the whole child, recognizing that children benefit form a lot of encouragement, a positive environment, and opportunities to succeed.
Our particular focus is on integrating athletes with physical and developmental disabilities into the world of sports and empowering all children for success in every area of life. Our goal is to give all children an opportunity to participate in sports, while encouraging them to learn and grow to realize their unique potential.
Our core programs include recreational and adaptive gymnastics and a Special Olympics program, the Young Athletes Program.
Expectations and Responsibilities:
- Attend and participate in weekly meetings with other interns to understand all activities of Balance180 and its overall organization
- Work together as a team to develop curriculum and lesson plans
- Participate in and lead classes to work on movements for children with and without disabilities
- Use creativity to adapt the lesson plans and activities to children of varying ages and abilities
- To learn to adapt sports and movement activities to meet the needs of children with varying disabilities
- To develop lesson plans focused on motion and movement that help with motor coordination and the development of social skills
- To lead classes and learn educative strategies to manage children in a class group setting
- To develop effective communication strategies with team members, parents, and athletes
- To learn to develop effective outreach efforts to increase awareness in the community
- To learn the administrative structure of non-profit organizations
The internship will be exciting and rewarding, and you will be a crucial component of the organization at a time of expansion. You will also be in contact with well-connected individuals at the University of Florida and in the industry, so professionalism is important.
- Experience volunteering or working with children
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Basic computer skills, including ability in Word and Excel
- Knowledgeable in nonprofit organizations or experience working with a nonprofit is a plus
- Interested in youth athletics, education, or nonprofit sector
Please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.